Saturday, April 21, 2018

Oberammergau: Excited for Travel Planned 2 Years in the Future? YES!

Yesterday I did something I'd never done before - I planned a trip more than two years in advance.  Crazy, right?  Not really...

As a travel expert, one of my very favorite things is networking with my colleagues, and learning from them.  While I had heard the term "Oberammergau,"  I had no idea what it was, until a friend, who specializes in Religious Travel, described in detail this once-a-decade spectacle that has been created and performed in the town of Oberammergau, Bavaria, Germany since 1634.  Fascinated, I decided that my husband and I must experience this.

Wikipedia explains that in 1634, a native of the town returned home for Christmas, infected with bubonic plague, which typically spread quickly and had a high mortality rate.  The townspeople made a vow that if God spared them from the epidemic, they would perform the Passion Play every ten years.  The scope of the epidemic was limited, and since then, with few exceptions, the inhabitants of the village have produced this spectacle every year ending in zero.

The performances is staged in an open air venue, and the scripts and music have been compiled from material written during the 15th and 16th centuries.  Over 2,000 of the town's 5,000 citizens participate in the event, performed over a five-month period in the designated year.

This unique experience generates worldwide interest, with a corresponding great demand for tickets.  Many tour operators offer trips including attendance at performances of Oberammergau, but these offerings consistently sell out well in advance - ergo my decision to plan really, really far in advance. Personally, for an event like this, my preference is to delegate the arrangements for tickets, lodging and transportation to a company with experience in handling the details to provide a seamless experience.

We've chosen to take a Danube River Cruise which combines a land portion to take in the Passion Play; there are many options offered by multiple tour companies.

If you too would enjoy a unique performance like this, I would be delighted to assist with (very) advance planning.

I've attached a short video taken during the 2010 event - hope you enjoy!

Happy Travels -

Joan Qualls
Owner and Vacation Designer
Tasteful Voyages
joan@tastefulvoyages.com




No comments:

Post a Comment